Training Your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier to Listen to You
Why Won't My Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Listen To Me?
This is a common question that most first-time Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier owners ask me. Before I answer your question, let me ask you a few instead:
- Do you have to raise your voice every time you want your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrierto listen to you?
- Does your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrieralways come or sit on command - anytime and anywhere you want him to?
If your answers are mostly in the negative, its time you seriously reconsider your role as a sincere Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier trainer and an ideal pet parent.
Get Your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier To Listen To You
Before you begin any training, you must first establish yourself as the "ALPHA dog" of your family. Your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier must know that you’re the leader of the pack and it is YOU who is in charge.
Here is a list of simple DO's and DONT's that you must follow if you want to be the Alpha:
- Always go out or come in through the door first - remember you are the leader;
- Always eat first - give your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier something to eat only after you've finished your meal;
- Don’t circle around your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier when he is lying on the floor - make your Soft Coated Wheaten Terriermove out of your way instead;
- Don't let your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrierset the rules - pay attention to him when you think fit and not whenever he demands;
- Don’t permit your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier to sleep with you in your bed - demarcate his sleeping area clearly.
Once you successfully established yourself as the Alpha, training your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and making him listen will be a lot easier than you can imagine. Remember, if your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier does not learn to "listen", all your training efforts will be in vain!
Does your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier know his name? Does your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier look at you whenever you call him by his name? This is the first and the most critical step involved in Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Training. If your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier doesn't respond to his name, you cannot have his attention for teaching him any other commands.
To make sure that your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier recognizes his name, take a treat in your hand and hold it away from your body. Call your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier's name. He is most likely to look at the treat in your hand. Continue calling his name until he turns and looks at your eyes. Give him the treat immediately. Repeat this exercise by holding the treat in the other hand. Once you're sure that your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier has learnt to recognize his name, just call his name and reward him for looking at you by petting or with a hug.
You must understand that Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers respond far better to positive reinforcement than they do to coercion or force.
Copyright (c) 2009 TrainPetDog.com